Western Regional Sales Engineer
Menlo Systems, Inc. is looking to add a new member to our growing sales and support team for the Western Part of the US. We are the North American sales and service arm of German-based Menlo Systems GmbH, a spin-off from the renowned Max-Planck-Institute for Quantum Optics. Menlo Systems is headquartered in Munich.
As part of the Menlo Systems, Inc. team you will be responsible for selling and supporting the full range of Menlo Systems products to academic, governmental, and commercial customers in North America, west of the Mississippi. These products include the optical frequency synthesizer for which a Nobel Prize was awarded in 2005 to Professor Theodor W. Hänsch, one of Menlo Systems’ founders.
Further products are femtosecond fiber lasers, THz-based spectrometers and antennas, and a range of detectors covering the VIS and NIR spectral ranges.
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Establishing of new accounts by identifying and prospecting of potential customers in academia and industry and responding to inquiries received directly by Menlo or through our strategic partner, Thorlabs Inc.
- Planning and organizing of sales calls, visits and product demonstrations to ensure successful growth
- Establishing and strengthening of ongoing customer relationships
- Act as a representative for Menlo Systems at industry trade shows, scientific conferences, and other marketing events
- Preparing reports for head office, recording and maintaining of client contact data, and meeting of yearly sales targets
- Identifying market needs and providing feedback to the product management team as well as R&D for product improvements
- Working closely with product management and engineering team to interpret customer requirements and to offer customized technical solutions
- Travel expectation between 30 and 50%
A well-rounded individual with a strong academic background that is able to quickly comprehend and explain complex engineering concepts in simple terms without losing the focus on the sales aspect.
An advanced degree in Physics or Electrical Engineering is preferred and relevant experience in technical sales is highly advantageous. A BS is acceptable if supported by a strong recommendation and/or demonstrated experience with lasers and technical sales.
A solution oriented team player with competitive nature, drive, and ambition with the ability to communicate well with highly trained scientists, students at all levels, and business professionals. A background in optics or an optics-related field is highly desirable.
Menlo Systems, Inc. offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience, with bonus opportunities and medical/dental coverage.
For further information or to apply for this position, please contact Simon Kocur, +1 973 338 2696 or e-mail
We are looking forward to receive your letter of application along with vita and certificates.